Saturday, September 4, 2010

The initial lowdown

So after many hours of flying and connecting flights (including a flight from Frankfurt to St. Petersburg on which I fell asleep next to a little Russian girl and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep).  I've read quite a lot of Гарри Поттер и Принц Полукровка (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in Russian).  I think I am going to do a post later on the things I found interesting in their translation (like how they did Fleur's accent!).

So, I've picked up a few traveling tips that I'm willing to share with you:
1) United is really anal about weighing baggage and will fine you $200.  To avoid this, put all the heaviest things in your carry-on.  If you want to not make friends, do this at the airport.
2) Lotion will manage to spill everywhere inside the the plastic bag you put it in, even if doesn't open or explode.  It's magic.
3) St. Petersburg really is THAT cold.  You don't think it will be, but it is.

4) Get super cheap cell phones.  All you need to do is call/text simplicity can be beautiful.  Also, the Russian way of doing cell-phones is fabulous.
5) You can get international calling cards for 1-rub per minute of international talk time.  On top of a 7 kopek rate, that's super cheap.
6) St. Petersburg is dead on Saturdays until about 9 or 10 am.   People will look at you strangely if you go out before then.




We meet our host families tomorrow. I'm so excited!  I got dumped by my first mom (ok, exaggeration, she backed out for whatever reason.  Whatever.  I got dumped.), but my second mom sounds really cool and she lives closer to school, which will be nice.   She's also a big talker and really into cultural things, according to Nathan.  I really hope it works out because host stay is my favorite part of the trip.

В конце концов мы прилетили в Россию вчера около полдня.  Мы все так устали, но нам было нельзя поспать до восьми.  На полете я читала около ста пятидесяти страниц книги "Гарри Поттер и Принц полукроквка".  Мне было интересно, как переводили французский акцент и имени многих персонажов.  Может быть я напишу об этом переводе после того, как я прочитала.

Ну, сегодня мы купили мобилники (такие дешевлие!) и снимали фотки для виз и студентских идентификаций.  Не знаю как это случилось, но все наши фотки были такими хорошими, будто бы мы были моделями.  Обычно в Америке, особенно в Виржинии, мы все виглядим преступниками в наших идентификациях.

К сожалению, моя первая русская мать не хотела житъ с мной (не правда, она просто не смогла для личных причин), но я получила новую маму сегодня.  Ее зовут Нина и она живет ближе к университете и Натан сказал, что она любит разговоривать, так что мне не очень жаль.  Переживаю.  Познакомимся завтра.  Надеюсь, что все будет хорошо.

No comments:

Post a Comment